The 2023 Highschool Experience

Written by: Jones Drury

My experience as a student at Ames High has had many exciting moments, not only as a student who gets to experience our brand-new school but also as a member of the boy’s swim team. From our state-of-the-art new school to the amazing swim facility and staff, I have had countless opportunities to flourish and push my limits at Ames High. 

Photo Credit: Facebook

Ames High isn’t just any normal school, it is a place where we are given the opportunity to test our abilities and discover our interests. The school offers many different classes that allow students to explore a large range of subjects and narrow down which ones they want to possibly study more in the future. One thing that I did in my first few years at Ames was take a wide variety of classes to figure out what I liked. I believe that my doing that had a large impact on the classes that I take even now in my senior year. Not only did it impact me academically, but also socially. Another thing that Ames does well is incorporating every student to try and make sure every one of us has an enjoyable high school experience. For me, signing up for many classes exposed me to all types of people to get to know and potentially become friends with. Luckily for me, many of the people I got to know had the same schedules and interests that I had. Having these people with me as I have gone through high school has made my time here extremely unique and more fun than I could’ve imagined. 

Photo Credit: Discover Ames

Another experience I’ve involved myself in at Ames High is the boy’s swim team. Going into freshman year, I never really thought I would want to join the team, but because of my friends who were already swimmers, I was convinced to join. 4 years later I can’t imagine doing it any other way. The sport has helped me stay active, even when I’d rather be sleeping, it has taught me to have discipline and perseverance, and has helped me meet a lot of really cool people that I hope to stay friends with for a long time. 

In short, my incredible journey as an Ames High student and member of the swim team has been a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The exciting opportunities at our new school have provided me to excel academically and athletically, and I’m eager to see where the future that Ames has given me will go.

• https://discoverames.com/business-listing/ames-hs-pool/
  • https://www.facebook.com/AmesHighSchool/